With today being Election Day 2016 in the United States, we are coming at you with a special edition of the podcast. We’ll be discussing 5 DC Comics characters that ran for President ina comic book.
Tons of DC characters have been United States President in elseworlds stories, such as an alternate Superman named Calvin Ellis. We’ll be sticking with more mainstream stories, though, for the most part.
Politics is a big topic on DC TV these days, with Oliver Queen currently Star City’s Mayor in Arrow and Penguin currently being the Mayor on Gotham. We are going to stick with presidential elections, though. These names come from a list compiled by Brian Cronin of Comic Book Resources.
Prez – The First Teen President
- Multiple Iterations focusing on teenagers
- Prez: First Teen President (1973) – original run was 4 issues
- Prez Rickard – His mom named him Prez in hopes he would become a U.S. President some day
- Constitutional amendment to lower age for Presidential candidates
- He named his Mother Vice President and his Sister secretary
- In June 2015, a new Prez comic was started. It had Beth Ross elected by Twitter in 2036
Robert Redford in Watchmen
- He was planning to run in 1988, which would have been Nixon’s 6th term
- Ronald Reagan was used in the 2009 film instead of Redford
Etrigan the Demon
- He first ran as a joke, but he quickly gained a following
- His canidacy only ended by turning back into Jason Blood
- Appeared in Vertigo Comics’ Saucer County (2012-2013)
- Alvarado was Governor of New Mexico and running for president
- She thinks she was abducted by Aliens and want to expose them
- Comic book storyline beginning in 2000
- Pete Ross as vice president
- Presidency ended poorly by trying to destroy Superman
- Touched on in Smallville
- Alternate reality Justice League and Justice League Unlimited
Thanks for listening and be sure to subscribe, rate, and review us on iTunes.