Adam Strange has been around DC Comics since the 1950s, but he still isn’t very well-known to many comics fans. Today, we talk all about the history and powers of the character and what we expect from his upcoming appearance on Krypton.
- Created by Julius Schwartz (writer) / Murphy Anderson did the costume
- Schwartz was a science major – wanted this to be somewhat “scientifically accurate”
- Introduced in Issue #17 of Showcase (November 1958)
- He was briefly a member of the Justice League and also Justice League United (Canada)
- Very much influenced by John Carter
Who is Adam Strange?
- Normal human archaeologist, one day he gets transported to the planet Rann by a Zeta-Beam. They give him a jetpack and ray gun and he becomes their superhero (he has no actual powers), he’s able to be stronger there because there is weaker gravity.
- The Zeta-Beam was an invention of the leader of Rann, Sardath.
- Strange falls in love with and marries Sardath’s daughter, Alanna.
- The Zeta-Beam’s effects wear off periodically (within a year) and when they do, Adam Strange is transported back to Earth.
- He uses his scientific knowledge to predict the time and location of other Zeta-Beams and uses that to get back to Rann each time.
- Just a normal human with no powers
- On Rann, he is stronger because of the weak gravity
- He is very smart, knows a lot about science.
- On Rann, he is given a jetpack and ray gun
- Rann-Thanagar War: Adam Strange is very often associated with the planet Thanagar as well (home of the Hawkpeople). In this storyline many Thanagarians are refugees on Rann. Eventually, the people of Rann go to war with the Thanagarians. Adam Strange, Hawkman, Hawkwoman, and Green Lantern (Kyle Rayner) help stop the war.
- For a time joins the group R.E.B.E.L.S which includes Brainiac Two (Vril Dox) and Lobo. He helps them defeat Starro the Conqueror
- Other adaptations – appears in a couple episodes of Batman: The Brave and the Bold (Batman and Aquaman visit Rann), Young Justice, and cameos in Justice League: The New Frontier
- Will appear on the SyFy show Krypton
- What do we want to see from him?
- Are you interested in seeing Rann?
Connect with us:
Thanks for listening and be sure to subscribe to the podcast to never miss a new episode.