A standalone Joker film is in development. We discuss this news, the implications on the DCEU and the new DC movies banner on today’s show.
A standalone Joker origin film is in development – Deadline
- To be directed by Todd Phillips (Old School, The Hangover Trilogy, War Dogs)
- Phillips and Scott Silver (8 Mile, The Fighter) are already writing the script
- Phillips and Martin Scorsese will produce (Scorsese’s involvement is far from assured – The Hollywood Reporter)
- “The intention is to make a gritty and grounded hard-boiled crime film set in early-’80s Gotham City that isn’t meant to feel like a DC movie as much as one of Scorsese’s films from that era, like Taxi Driver, Raging Bull or The King Of Comedy.”
- Twitter question from @JRBatman23 – “First thought, will this be one of their R rated movies they talked about?”
- Other questions – Batman, other Gotham characters?
- The Killing Joke or The Joker influence
Part 2 – film will be standalone/not be connected to DCEU
- Will use a “dierent actor, possibly younger”
- Jared Leto is expected to return for Suicide Squad 2 and Harley Quinn spinoff
- Confusion from general audience?
Part 3 – New non-DCEU unnamed banner of DC movies
- THR – “The new label would give Warners leeway to make more DC-oriented projects, unconstrained by continuity. “
- Borys Kit added on Twitter – “The new label would allow for the making of all kinds of DC movies of different budgets and potentially time periods unconnected to…the main line of DC movies.”
- Potential Elseworlds/one-shot films
Connect with us:
Thanks for listening and be sure to subscribe to the podcast to never miss a new episode.