Big news in the DC movie world, as Steven Spielberg is now attached to a Blackhawk film and Cathy Yan is in talks to direct the next Harley Quinn film.
Steven Spielberg to produce with plans to direct a film based on DC Comics’ Blackhawk
- Blackhawk and the Blackhawk Squadron – World War II team of pilots that fight Nazis and some supernatural threats
- David Koepp (Jurassic Park, Mission: Impossible, Spider-Man) will write the film
- Official statements from WB chairman Toby Emmerich and Spielberg
- Will it be in DCEU/does it matter?
- Writer Mark Evanier – Spielberg was interested in early 80s, Dan Aykroyd wanted to star
- Marv Wolfman on Twitter – Spielberg was interested in a Blackhawk film in 1980; comic was revived; also mentions Ferris Wheel scene in 1979’s 1941 (War Wheel)
Cathy Yan in talks to direct a female team-up film starring Margot Robbie’s Harley Quinn – Deadline
- Yan wrote and directed Dead Pigs; was released at Sundance this year, but hasn’t had a wide release; former Wall Street Journal reporter
- Yan was chosen over experienced male directors after a strong presentation, Robbie also wanted a female director
- What characters will be in the film?
- The Hollywood Reporter – not necessarily Birds of Prey; “under the rubrick of the “untitled Harley Quinn girl gang movie.” Sources are describing the project as an all-female variation on Suicide Squad.”
- Robbie’s LuckyChap is also producing
- Suicide Squad 2 from Gavin O’Connor still in the works; Gotham City Sirens and Harley vs. Joker still in development, but likely farther down the line
- Variety’s Justin Kroll on Twitter – “…will shoot at the end of the year. WB pic this as the next pic after Christina Hodson blew execs away with her script”
- “As for SUICIDE SQUAD 2, clearly moving out of 2018 shoot. The move to go with BOP not only had a lot to do with Hodson’s script but also the idea of doing with BATGIRL what Marvel did with Black Panther in CIVIL WAR by introducing them into universe before giving them own film”
Connect with us:
Thanks for listening and be sure to subscribe to the podcast to never miss a new episode.