In our third and final holiday themed episode, we review a classic Superman comic book issue from 1940. Superman’s Christmas Adventure was released for the holiday in 1940 as a promotional tie-in for many department stores.
In this issue, Superman and Lois take on the formidable foes Dr. Grouch and Mr. Meaney. It is a lighthearted and fun tail that was made to teach a lesson to children.
- Released for Christmas 1940
- Written by Jerry Siegel (Superman co-creator)
- There’s a little blank spot on the front where a business could put their name and hand it out
- Clark and Lois are assigned to write about Christmas
- They go to a store, see a poor kid and Clark gets his name and address
- Clark starts a toy-drive, Santa reads about it, because he reads the Daily Planet
- Clark X-Ray visions into a little kid’s room, sees a rich kid complaining about toys
- Later that night, kidnaps the kid as Superman and takes him around to teach him a lesson
- Meanwhile, at the North Pole, Dr. Grouch and Mr. Meaney show up because they didn’t enjoy Christmas as children and so they want to stop Christmas for everyone else.
- Santa and the elves chase them off.
- Dr. Grouch and Mr. Meaney go the Daily Planet, use a gas-gun on Clark and Lois, and set it on fire
- Clarks pretends to be knocked out, wakes up and uses his breath to put the fire out.
- Grouch and Meaney go back to the North Pole to break all the toys, Lois stows away on their space ship
- They catch Lois and strap her to a rocket
- “Tears…Tears…The world will be flooded with the tears of little children” they say as they go back to destroying toys
- Santa makes the toys come to life and chase Grouch and Meaney away
- Superman saves Lois from the rocket
- Grouch and Meaney kidnap Lois again, and they’ve kidnapped Santa’s reindeer
- Santa calls Superman from his radio station
- Superman find the truck with Grouch, Meaney, and the reindeer and brings them back
- Grouch and Meaney gas the reindeer
- So Superman flies the sleigh around with all the toys
- Santa still gives Grouch and Meaney gifts
- So now they’re nice and they release Lois
Thanks for listening and be sure to subscribe to the podcast to never miss a new episode.